Friday, April 5, 2013

The Inconvenience of Christianity


            I don’t always like it when God comes knocking at the door of my heart. Sometimes God shows me things that I have misunderstood, not done well, or simply not done.
            I would like to think of myself as a strong Christian, and often it seems as though people think of me that way. Yet, I often struggle with feeling like a failure, feeling distant from God, weak, and without hope of walking in a truly upright way before Him. Here in the west it is easy to think that Christianity should be like any other part of our life. Church fits into a schedule, it is neat, reliable, fits into a time commitment, and often becomes a convenient way to engage in ‘faith’. Even our daily devotions can fall into that routine. 7 AM, read 2 chapters of John, look at prayer list and think thankful thoughts, and then get dressed and go on with daily life. If there is ever the sense that this is not enough, it is easily quenched by the knowledge that as far as all appearances go, we are doing all the ‘right’ things.
            Christianity is not supposed to be easy. Everyone still with me so far? Good. Now let me try a new one on you. Christianity is not supposed to be convenient. Convenience is such a staple of our lives today. Very little in our lives today requires a concentrated denial of self, a steady, long-term work ethic that few people around us understand. We are used to fast-food, access to any piece of information within our pockets. We take world-wide travel and communication for granted, pleasure has become an every-day pursuit rather than an occasional experience. Our whole lives tend to be motivated by the paths of least resistance. I know mine usually is.
            Today God has awakened my heart to the truth of convenience. Convenience is a tool Satan uses to work apathy, disinterest, and spiritual death in our lives. I know those words are strong, but I know deep within my soul that God has something He wants to work through me, but the only way it will happen is if I start embracing the inconvenience of Christianity.
            My shame is that I so often think I should be able to have time in my life when God leaves me alone. I still am tempted to want to be in control of my own life. It was not convenient for Jesus to go to the cross for my sins. It was not convenient for God to send His only Son to the Earth. Why should my life be easy? Why should living to God’s glory and giving Him thanks be easy? Jesus never said it would be easy, so why do we have this thinking that living the Christian life won’t give us any great inconvenience? Reading Tortured for Christ by Richard Wurmbrand has opened my eyes to the wonderful beauty brought into the lives of Christians by suffering.
            For me, the inconvenience of Christianity includes giving God sovereignty over how I spend my time. I have read in many places that the one way to experience great growth and sensitivity to spiritual matters is by fasting. I am engaged to sing at an anniversary service on Sunday, and I want to be able to be used by God in that performance. So tomorrow starting in the morning (no breakfast) until after that performance, I am going to fast and pray. Nothing but water will pass my lips.
            I am fully aware that Satan will put me through the ringer tomorrow. I have no thoughts that tomorrow will be easy. I simply pray tonight that I will be given the grace to endure and that God will cleanse me, bringing to mind sins to confess and ways to change my thinking in order to come closer to God.
            I ask for your prayers for tomorrow. Pray that I will not be distracted from my purpose, and that God will reveal His purpose for my life to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment