Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Refreshing Rain


As I write this, the silver rains are streaming past my window, pattering on the small cement patio outside, preparing the earth for spring. I walked home in this rain and it felt wonderfully restorative. I feel awakened, renewed, ready to bless God for all the amazing things He has done in my life. 
            Recently, while I was reading up on fasting and other spiritual disciplines, I came across an article about journaling. This article was in the online magazine, Set Apart Girl, which I strongly recommend you check out if you are so inclined. The author wrote about journaling in her life having become a way through which she could track the proof of God’s goodness through her life. Not only were her journals places to write prayers, dreams and fears, but they were records of God’s faithfulness. Her article ended with, “Does not His faithfulness deserve a monument in each of our lives?” I was struck by that comment. It is so easy for us small little humans to get stuck in the whirlpool of our own wants, need insecurities, and journeys that we forget to give tribute to Whom it is due.
            Though this blog is for struggling through the tough questions, for wrestling with truth, I never want to forget the One who stands beside us. We may feel as though we are grappling with stone as we try to figure out the person of God, yet if we only stopped dashing ourselves against Him in our hurry to figure it all out NOW, He would draw us into an eternal embrace, revealing His character to us in His own time and way, gently molding our character without ever breaking His precious clay vessels.
            God’s tenderness overwhelms me. As I am writing this blog, I took time to steep myself in His Word and I came across these words.
            John 16:13
            Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come he will guide you into all truth; for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.
            “He will guide you into all truth.” These journeys that we walk, the struggles we face, these are a monument to the Father’s faithfulness. Journaling may be a great way for some to remember these daily monuments, others may find different ways to do so, but the important thing is that we remember. Remember His faithfulness, kindness, goodness, blessings and gentle leadings.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes I think God is still answering the prayers I prayed long ago - and have since forgotten about! Journaling truly is an amazing way to "track the proof of God's faithfulness"! Another great post, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete